Sunday, December 20, 2009

Let it go

Layla, my little love, please don't be so hard on yourself.

I worry about Layla. Worry for a lot of reasons. Her beauty, her humor, her hard headedness. But mostly for her intensity. Child, there are some things that you simply must let go.

Please stop chewing your nails down to the quick when you get frustrated. Please give yourself time to breath when you are trying to perfect drawing something. I love that you live your life with enthusiasm and intensity. But child, please allow some room for mistakes and forgiveness. Because you will fall. You will fail. You will disappoint yourself and us, but you will always be our Layla. And while I know that you will not only dominate, but make most things you attempt, your bitch, there will be moments. Moments where things didn't go your way. Moments where your toughest critic will be you. And I worry about that. Because while I know that your father and I will always move beyond the disappointment, I'm not sure that you'll be able to. You are far too hard on yourself. And that hurts me. And worries us.

So, As-Salamu Alaykum, child. Please. Because to watch you be so hard on yourself is hard on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment