Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kindergarten?

Layla turns 3 in a couple of weeks.  So go ahead and note that she is currently 2.  And I'm already a little freaked out about kindergarten and choosing the right school for the girls.  I spent a lot of time researching our options.

Our neighborhood school has a great Spanish Immersion program that Mike and I had seriously considered.  But as much as I hate what NCLB has done to our education system, it has given me access to test data to compare from the different schools.  And let's just say this one isn't looking so great.  Plus it starts at the same time that all elementary schools start around here.  9.  9?  How the hell am I going to swing that?  Mike's school starts at 7 something.  My school starts at 8:15 and I have to be to work by 7:45.  And we're supposed to get the kid to school at 9?  Seriously, how the hell would that happen?

But anyway, in my research I found a couple of optional schools that look great.  The test scores are awesome.  Programs offered are diverse and enriching.  One even starts at 8 and has the highest volunteer hours by parents per week than any other that I saw.  Sounds great, right?  It's a lottery school, so it's the luck of the draw whether or not you get in during one of the two lottery sessions a year that they hold.  So there I sat printing off an application for lottery, wondering if you could put one in now for the 2013-14 school year, would I have a better chance.  That idle wonder turned into pointed questions to my coworker who, come to find out, is friends with the principal at my first choice.

Wait.  Does this mean I'm connected?  Oh please, oh please, oh please, let me be connected.  The mission was made clear and my coworker will be touching base with principal to see if my application would be laughed at and put on the lunatic list if they received one for a not yet 3 year old.

And who I have to sleep with to make this happen.

3 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    Sorry girls. You're going to the dumb school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that low test scores aren't an indicator of the education that occurs. I teach in a school with low test scores. We have a great multicultural environment unlike some of the ones in our district who have high scores.We celebrate diversity all the time and to our students it is normal. Our kids get tons of services and interventions without needing a label because we are working so hard with each child trying to meet their needs and pull them up and we have some darn good teachers.

    I know you already know this but I had to say it. It's testing week and I'm already sick to my stomach knowing that the higher ups will judge us by a week of stress for both the students and teachers. I love Barack but if he doesn't end NCLB soon I may need to apply at Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete