Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The bike

At some point between my childhood and 3 days ago, biking became difficult and actual exercise.  Now, it may be the 70 pounds or so that I'm dragging behind me, but I think that's only part of the problem.  I'm old.  And out of shape.  And seriously need to get into shape before I keel over dead coming up the hill bringing the girls home.

Today I met a friend and her kids at the museum, and I decided it would be a good idea to bike them down there because we live so close and it would save me the $5 parking cost.  Getting there was a breeze, cause it's mostly downhill.  Regardless, I was still wringing with sweat when I got there.  But feeling good about the choice that I made to get some exercise, save the gas, and save money.

And then we finished playing and I was hungry and tired.  Now, I could have probably made it home with my remaining energy, but the idea of doing that and then making and feeding lunch was overwhelming.  So the $5 I saved on parking turned into a $29 lunch for myself and the girls.  But it was a damn good lunch.

And I STILL almost died on the hill coming home.  But I'm making it riding up the hill further each time I make the trip.  I still end up walking the last bit, but one of my first goals is to make it all the way up that hill pedaling.


I'm still left wondering at what moment in the last 25 years biking went from easy fun to hard ass work.

No comments:

Post a Comment