Thursday, August 12, 2010

Here we go again

Today was Layla and Evie's first day back to Elba's, as Mike and I returned to work today.  I was a bit sad driving them there and discovered that as nervous as I was that I might kill them over the summer, we actually had a great time.  There were some tough times, but it was nice to hang out with them, for the most part.

Drop off went about as expected.  Layla said "hi" and "good" to Elba.  Evie started looking suspicious as soon as Elba made eye contact with her, and the screaming began as soon as I passed her off.  And then I left.  Our jumble of English/Spanish/hand gestures at pick up led me to believe that Evie spent much of the day crying.  Layla talked and played with the other kids though, so it's a wash.

Some genius had the good idea that it would be a good idea to have a welcome back pizza night for parents/kids/staff on our first day back.  So after picking up the girls we headed back up to school.  And Evie had a full blown, I've lost my god damn mind, lay on the floor kicking and screaming, fit in the middle of my school.  In front of my coworkers.  And students.  And the parents of my students.  It was horrible.

Cause I knew it would be frowned upon by most if I kicked her little ass down the stairs in front of everyone.  Apparently counselors are supposed to have better anger management skills than that?  I mean yes, counselors have better anger management skills than that.  Period.  Not a question.

Or is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment