Monday, February 8, 2010

The perfect fit

I've been a feminist for a long time.  Equal opportunity, equal pay for equal work, blah, blah, blah.  It was not until I had children, however, that I discovered that I am no longer a feminist, I am a woman superiorist.  Because our bodies can do some wicked cool shit.  There is such a beauty in the symmetry  our bodies share with our children.

We are impossibly designed to birth a baby.  How fucking awesome is that?  Nipples and the latch?  Freaking brilliant.  And the one foremost in my mind tonight.  The shoulder/neck area that makes the perfect fit for a baby to nuzzle up into.  There are few things sweeter than a child sleeping snuggled into your neck.

We're going through a transition in our house with Evie slowly moving into her crib.  BUT I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT THAT GOD DAMN IT!  Ahem.  Anyway.  So I have nursed and rocked her to sleep in the rocker the last couple nights and then lay her in the crib.  Tonight while I sat with her sleeping on my shoulder waiting for Mike to finish reading to Layla, I tried to cement that moment into my memory.  I think we've all had those moments where you actively try to memorize every detail of an event in the hopes that you can return to the perfectness of it at any time by just tapping into your memory. 

That beautiful child lay, fit perfectly into my neck, breathing a soothing rhythm, feeling her little heart beat against my chest, and with every fiber of my being, I wished for her happiness.  And I thanked the universe for bringing this perfect creature into my life.  Sadly I've watched the transformation from baby who likes to snuggle, to toddler who will sit quietly with you for no longer than 2.76 seconds, and time is running out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment