Thursday, September 16, 2010

I can do 6th grade math!

I cheated my way through math class in high school.  I don't know how I ended up taking Algebra or Geometry, or whatever it was, but I was bad at it.  Really, really bad.  Fortunately I had a friend who sat next to me who was smart and willing to let me cheat off him.  We were high tech, too.  We used the guise of sharing a graphing calculator, and he would just type in the answers for me.  Nice.

As you can imagine, by the time I entered college, I had cheated my way right into needed a semester of remedial math.  Ironically, I'm actually very good at statistics and analyzing large volumes of data, but fractions still give me a headache.   Cut to how this is relevant right now.

I'm tutoring my daycare provider's 6th grade granddaughter who went from her Spanish Immersion program (Spanish being her primary language) to one of our back to basics Optional programs in the district.  That's roughly the equivalent of going from a Montessori program on a commune to a military school in Texas.  Incredibly difficult, to say the least.  Anyway, after weeks of being late to work because I was helping her every morning, meeting with the teacher and her parents to help translate, and seeking out a tutor for her, only to find that those bastards charge $45 an HOUR.  I'm in the wrong business, man.  Okay, long story not quite as long as I could make it, she's being dropped off at my school for an hour after work every day so that I can work with her, and in exchange, we're shaving $200 off my daycare rate.  You take care of my kids, I take care of yours.

Unfortunately, her weakest area is not language, but math.  And they're working on fractions.  Shit.  Basically I'm going to be relearning how to multiply and divide fractions at the same time that she does.  She has her first test in math since I started working with her, and I'm as nervous as I would be if it were my own kid.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a win-win situation. It will surely prep you for helping your girls with math homework down the road. Saving day care money is great too.

    ReplyDelete